Sunday, June 27, 2010

Shanta Durga temple- Kavalem, Goa

Shanta Durga temple is in Kavalem, Ponda and is as attractive as the earlier temples I saw.in Goa. Durga is really a very powerful deity who was created for killing Mahishasura, the demon  and is always seen sitting on her  mount, the lion, wielding lethal weapons.  But the Goddess Durga here has  a serene look like her name Shanta((Peaceful) and She is sitting in a relaxed position with legs stretched in front as if waiting to see her devotees. The deity is decorated in rich silks and jewels. The  temple has brilliant glass lamps and chandeliers. The deepa sthambha gets lighted in the evenings.
There is also a shrine for Lakshmi Narayana on right side,This temple has beautiful tank with crystal clear water similar to Mangesh temple  and I could find a Tulsi in the tank.  Tulsi is worshipped in each and every Saraswat household too. People can spend time relaxing here as there are beautiful seating arrangements around the temple. An excellent place to relax and the Goddess ensures Peace and tranquility.
How to reach:
Kavalem is Ponda is 16 Kms from Madagaon  which is the nearest railway station.
Accomodation facilities are available in the temple complex itself for the community members and a canteen offering excellent food at very economical rates.











32 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is very useful information shared. And peaceful location too I guess.
Thanks for sharing.

R. Ramesh said...

chitra ji thanks for taking us all around on a nice pilgrimage:)

Felicity Grace Terry said...

So impressive, I love the lit up tower and the staircase is totally stunning.

chitra said...

Hobo
Thanks for the comment.Start planning:)

chitra said...

Ramesh
Thanks you. My pleasure!!!

chitra said...

PW
As we were staying near this temple we made it point to visit this temple everyday. The tranquility in this temple captivated me a lot.

Anuradha Shankar said...

I remember visiting this temple on my Goa trip more than 8 years ago... this brought back so many wonderful memories!

chitra said...

Anu
Thanks for the comment.

anupama said...

Dear Chitra,
Good Evening!
Thanks a lot for the beautiful photos of the temple.I had been to this temple,but I don't remember the boats in the tanks.The tank and lit up deepasthambham look amazing!
Wishing you more visits to many more temples,
Sasneham,
Anu

Insignia said...

Looks serene. I loved the 'kolam'.

You had a great tour it seems

Sushma Mallya said...

i have visited this beautiful temple before and would love to visit again & again...

Anonymous said...

hey thanks for taking us through such pilgrimages :) btw.. I replied in ur earlier post about the follower option.. there is no follower option in wordpress :(

SG said...

Thanks for sharing the infor about this temple. We have a specail affection for Goddess Durga.

Mridula said...

That is a beautiful temple.

Krishna said...

Interesting Photos... Really Liked them.... I loved the designs of Temples... white and brown color combination is adding more attractiveness to that.
Nice Photography....

Shrikrishna Meena said...

Interesting Photos... Really Liked them.... I loved the designs of Temples... white and brown color combination is adding more attractiveness to that.
Nice Photography....

L. Venkata Subramaniam said...

wonderful pictures! Goa is indeed a beautiful place to visit. I have only been there once and would love to go there again. I will keep in mind the temples you have covered here when I go there again!

Arti said...

Wonderful pics!!
Looks very serene and peaceful!
Never travelled to Goa.. Would love to travel there someday!!

KParthasarathi said...

Thanks a bunch.Short and crisp.The pictures are the highlights

R. Ramesh said...

dropped in 2 say Hi

chitra said...

Dear friends
Thanks for the encouragement and kind support. I am a little busy with my assignments and away from my home. But shall catch up soon and shall be visting my dear friends. Till then take care.

R. Ramesh said...

nanri chitra ji...wishes

Traci said...

I love the idea of her high upon her mount and a lion! That sounds mighty -- I wish I could see it.
:-)
Traci

chitra said...

Traci
Thanks a lot. Happy to see you here.

subu.ps said...

good pics Chithra, nice to know that such beautiful temples exists near Madgaon

chitra said...

Thanks a lot subu.

lostworld said...

One of my friends is doing a painting of Durga :)
The lighted sthamba looks great..like the temple's lighthouse !!

chitra said...

lostworld
I visited this temple many times just to have a look at the beautiful deepasthambha

Anonymous said...

Great set of photos and a very interesting post again!Thank you for sharing and have a nice weekend!

chitra said...

Ankit, Happy you liked the post and photos. Thanks for the encouraging words.

Anonymous said...

Dear Chitra

Vaishakh Panchmi today. Through yr video I could reach my deity and woshipped whole heartedly.
anita

chitra said...

Anonmous, I am happy you could get a darshan of your dear Goddess. Vaisakh panchami greetings to you.