Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Sri Chamundeshwari temple- Mysore, Karnataka

This ancient  temple is situated on  a small hill known as Chamundi  hills about 13 kilometers  from the city of Mysore.
The goddess here is Chamundeshawari ,a reincarnation of  Goddess Parvati, consort of Shiva who fought  a fierce battle and slayed demons Chanda, Munda and  Mahishasura saving the world from their  evil clutches. She is also known as Mahishasura Mardini ,the one who  killed the Mahishasura.

The image of goddess here is believed to be powerful and is seen seated in the sanctum in richly decorated finery. Dussehra festival is celebrated on a grand scale at this temple.
The temple architecture is very simple  but the temple tower is magnificent; it is a beauty to behold.

Just outside the main temple there is a small niche for Aanjaneya and a few feet away from temple one can see a colorful  image of Mahishasura . One can have a panoramic view of Mysore city from the hills here, and also there is a huge Nandi , mount of Shiva  around 16  feet which attracts lot of tourists  here.
There temple timings are
7.30 am to 2 pm
3.30 pm to 6 pm
7.30 pm to 9 pm
















16 comments:

SG said...

Thanks for the nice write up and thanks for sharing these beautiful photos. We visited this temple last year when we visited India.

chitra said...

Thanks SG, that was so quick..:)

Insignia said...

This is one temple that I've visited many many times. Being just 120 km from Bangalore; we used to go often on a day trip to Mysore. Your last pic reminds me of the view of barren land and trees from the top of hills 20-25 years ago but now its a very big layout

chitra said...

This I visited recently , my second visit. But I could take pics only this time. Trips to Karnataka are few for me.:)

Bikram said...

I have been there , when i had come to bangalore a few yeas back.
beautiful pics

Bikram's

chitra said...

Those who visit Mysore will definitely will have this in their itinerary @Bikram.

Shri said...

Chitra, thank you! One way I can keep up, at least through the virtual world, with all the places I wanted to visit.

chitra said...

Thank you Shri. This is a nice way to remain connected too.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

I'm loving the thought of this goddess taking on and slaying these demons. Fascinating reading as always, its great to have you back.

chitra said...

Thanks Tracy. Love to see you too.

Martina said...

Those statues here are amazing - i like especially the blacl cow. so peaceful and strong! have a happy week Chitra!

Teamgsquare said...

Wonderful pictures. This used to be the most favourite hangout place for me when I was in Mysore.

chitra said...

TGS, this post of mine would have made you nostalgic :)

Vidya Sury said...

Hi Chitra! I came here from Asha's Musings via your comment on one of her posts that she wrote back in Aug 2010! I was looking for "Uriyadi". And sort of got lost in your blog. I love temples and enjoy photographing them.

Each time we visit the Chamundeshwari temple in Mysore, we discover something new. Last year when we went there, we realized we had never gone to the temples behind this :)

Looking forward to connecting with you more.

Happy Janmashtami to you!

Vidya Sury said...

Hi Chitra! I came here from Asha's Musings via your comment on one of her posts that she wrote back in Aug 2010! I was looking for "Uriyadi". And sort of got lost in your blog. I love temples and enjoy photographing them.

Each time we visit the Chamundeshwari temple in Mysore, we discover something new. Last year when we went there, we realized we had never gone to the temples behind this :)

Unknown said...

Last summer, I visited this wonderful temple and I loved it. It was an amazing experience. This temple is crowded by devotees. This visit took place during our Mysore trip and everybody loved it. Beautiful pictures and I really appreciate you for sharing all the details necessary for a trip to Sri Chamundeshwari temple.