Monday, July 25, 2011

Nachiyar Koil- Thiru Naraiyur, Kumbhakonam,Tamilnadu

Nachiyar Koil is an important divyadesham of Vishnu , which  is 10 Kms from the town of Kumbhakonam and just 3 Kms. from Uppiliyappan temple. Goddess  Nachiyar is  Vishnu's consort and She is seen right inside the sanctum along with the Lord ,unlike other temples where Goddess gets enshrined separately.  Nachiyar has  more prominence over the Lord here. The worship is first offered to the Goddess and  then to the Lord Vishnu.  The God and Goddess are  found in a beautiful Tirukalyana kolam(wedding posture). There are also  huge idols of Aniruddha , Purushothaman , Sankarshanan,Vasudeva and Pradyumana , the forms which the God assumed to offer his powers to the Goddess . One has to climb a few steps to reach the sanctum

Just outside the sanctum of Lord Srinivasa  is the shrine for  Kal Garuda. a well sculpted Garudalwar . During the annual festival the Lord visits sannidhi of Kalgaruda. It is is said that the Garuda's weight increases manifold when it is taken out during the street procession in the Tamil month of marghazi .  The number of people who carry the idol  keep increasing as the the Garuda leaves each prakaram and the weight reduces as  the Garuda returns to the temple.
How to reach: This temple is situated on Kumbhakonam -Tiruvarur route.
Kumbhakonam is well connected with road and rail, with nearest airport in Trichy.
Good hotel accommodation is available in the town of Kumbhakonam.



38 comments:

  1. the place looks magical!

    http://www.ohmydior.org/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too visited this temple some 6 years back. Waited for the temple to open at 4 in the eve and then left to oppiliappan.

    VEry beautiful and calm temple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Dior, thank for the visit and the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's something so mysterious about this place. Have a great day Chitra!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been to kumbakonam temple , v beautifull temple....beautifully captured chitra:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the pictures posted as I didn't own a camera when I visited temples in TamilNadu. Some were edged permanently in my head like Madurai, Kanyakumari and Tirupati.
    Thanks for giving my link to your niece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mridula, thanks. Hope you are enjoying well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks a lot 'The chairspeaks'. Happy you liked my post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice, chitra... another temple i have been to, but never took pics!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, the pictures speak for themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chitra,

    Beautiful. But for some reason it seems very familiar. Have you posted this earlier too? Or may be I read it on some where else? But I only read about temples at your space.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A,
    Did you get the feeling that the post is familiar, that is because almost all the temples have similar looks and stories. I have told earlier also , never even once, I have repeated a temple.BTW I have only made 5-6 posts in the Kumbokanam temple series. 20 odd are in the queue:). I know there would not be any charm in repeating the same and reading the same ones for my blogger friends.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one temple I liked a lot during my Kumbakonam visit.. Nice pics Chitra!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chitra,

    It is possible I read it somewhere else. Though some temples may look similar, I look at pictures very carefully....analytically from technique perspective too. Most likely I have seen pictures of this temple on some other blog too. May be Nisha's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. technical aspects?, I need some lessons A.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Chitra,

    I just wrote one post on Photography blog and then dropped the idea completely. I tested the water if it is worth and it turned out it was going to be very time consuming and I could not spend that kind of time. Technical blogs tend to be more time consuming as it requires accuracy. I would not post something random. If you have any specific question or a general question feel free to email me and I will reply, My email address arealblogger@gmail.com

    The kind of pictures you take are difficult because:-

    a. You have to work with natural light and you don't have any control.
    b. There are people and crowd around that you need to keep out of frame.
    c. Wires and other kind of noise that you need to keep out of frame.

    What kind of camera do you have?

    No worries if you visit late or last or first...it is the choice of readers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have never been there. Good set of info.

    ReplyDelete
  18. beautiful pics
    with good info

    ReplyDelete
  19. A, thank you so much. shall get in touch in case I require any information. I do have your mail id .I shall write you in detail as I am travelling now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kal Garudan was the main attraction for me too in this temple..imagine the magic of Garudan's weight..Nice coverage of the temple

    ReplyDelete
  21. how I wish I could know more about this culture!


    http://www.ohmydior.org/

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMD,
    thank you so much for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have been to Kumbakonam several times and visited this temple . Its very beautiful and feel like visiting again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I will visit the temple if I happen to go through Kumbakonam. Thanks for sharing Chitra.

    ReplyDelete

Friends ,Thanks for Leaving your comment .I have enabled comment moderation.
This website is not for posting free advertisements.